Saturday, October 18, 2008

Medical Mysteries & Missing In Action Chocolate

I know that I have been absent from the blog-o-sphere. But I am back now. You can all have a collective sigh of relief. Jay started out the week by getting a sliver the size of a 2x4 nicely implanted underneath his fingernail. I have no idea where or when he got it, I was simply maintaining a high standard of personal hygiene by nail trimming and lo and behold there it was. You always hear of that form of torture where they shove things under your fingernails. This looked pretty similar. He never really fussed about it unless I touched it (or looked at it), so that leads me to believe how bad can that torture really be. I tried to get it out myself, no success. So a late night trip to the doctor was in order. It was pretty traumatic to say the least. It took me, two nurses, and the doctor to hold him down. The doctor whipped out the longest pair of tweezers I had ever seen. He really had to do some digging because it was stuck halfway down his nail and had dragged some paint in along for the ride. Ten minutes of blood curdling screaming and the doctor gave the all clear. Since we had so much fun, they next day we went in for the kids flu shots. Short of the story: lots of screaming & howling but we came out ahead with lollipops and stickers. Yesterday Rylie comes to tell me that she has stuffed something in her nose. It turned out to be a piece of an egg crate mattress that she had pinched off. I tried to get her to blow it out but just to be contrary she sucked it down. Another call was in order to the doctor. So it either is in her stomach (which is fine) or it is stuck in her nasty nose mucus (not so good). So if she starts to stink we will know where it is! And to top the week off I can't locate any Pumpkin Spice Hershey Kisses. I found a fab recipe that calls for them and there are nowhere to be found. Apparently there is a secret password you give to a store employee or a members only spot where these are handed out and I am not privy to the location. The ultimate frustration. A billion doctors visits okay, but give me my chocolate.

7 comments:

Christina said...

I'm going to search for these kisses here in Nebraska. If I find some, honestly, they're yours!

Maile said...

Oh my, what a terrible week! Poor Jay!! And I can sympathize on the kid-stuffing-stuff-up-her-nose thing. A few weeks ago on the way home from preschool Ellie started whimpering and sniffling and complaining that her nose hurt. Turned out that she had stuck the little purple smiley face sticker she'd gotten in preschool up her nose and couldn't get it back down. I tried to see it with a flashlight, but no luck. The nurse phoneline told us to take her to Urgent Care in case she'd sucked it into her nasal cavity or her lungs.

We took her, but the doc couldn't find it either. She sent us home with the same instructions you got: if her nose or breath starts to really stink, bring her back in. That was weeks ago, and so far she's only been at her normal stinkiness level, so I think we're in the clear. :)

All the best, and good luck finding those chocolates!

Christina said...

I went to Target last night specifically to find those pumpkin spice kisses for you. No luck. All they had were candy corn kisses (gross!) and the regulars. Sorry.

MARIE said...

Seeni, I found the coveted kisses at Target. They didn't have them anywhere else in this stinkin' town. I, personally, thought the cookies were quite delicioso but kinda hard to make (hard to roll in the sugar - but the sugar is a must). And they were quite pumpkiny. I thought there were fantastico but didn't seem to get the same response when I 'served' them so I really would like to here your 'critique' of them.

Sadie said...

LOL, oh no!! That does sound like a terrible week. I haven't been able to find those kisses either... hmmm

Amanda said...

What a fun week! I'm telling you when it pours it rains... Here's to wishing you a better week!

Sandie said...

Seems it's more common these days for kids to stuff things up their nose. I've heard lots of those stories going around. Remember when Kyler shoved a raisin up his nose? That was not cheap!